About Dr. Paul Simpson
Dr. Simpson has been a licensed psychologist with the State of Arizona for almost three decades and has specialized in assessing and treating sex offender populations for almost four decades. He is a highly sought after forensic expert with extensive experience assisting in Arizona and federal courts, general and special courts-martial for the Air Force, Army, Marines and Navy. In addition to providing forensic services throughout Arizona, he has also assisted at numerous military instillations state-side, in Germany, England, Okinawa, Guam and Turkey. His services for the courts, prosecution and defense have involved evaluations, consultation and expert testimony.
His expertise includes:
- Alcohol blackout
- Eyewitness memory
- Contact sex offense evaluations and testimony
- Evaluations and testimony regarding online solicitation and child pornography
- Review of forensic child interviews
- False / coerced confessions
- Counter-intuitive Behaviors (legitimate and illegitimate research findings)
Dr. Simpson is an instructor for the State Bar of Arizona and a course instructor for the Air Force JAG School.In addition, he has been an instructor for the Arizona Supreme Court and has provided numerous onsite trainings at over twenty military legal offices stateside and overseas. Topics have included:
- Alcohol Blackouts and Sexual Assault Allegations
- Child Sexual Abuse Allegations: What Every Attorney Should Know
- Daubert Standard and Psychological Evaluations: What Every Attorney Should Know
- Memory in the Courtroom: What Every Attorney Should Know
- Mental Health Evaluations in Homicides and Crimes of Violence: What Every Attorney Should Know
- Psychosexual Evaluations: What Every Attorney Should Know
- Online Sex Offense: What Every Attorney Should Know
A former case manager with Child Protective Services, Dr. Simpson has extensive experience working with victims and perpetrators of sex crimes, including over 1000 psychosexual evaluations of adults and juveniles. He is trained and/or certified in the Abel, Affinity 2.5, Look VTM, MEGA, Static 99R/2002R, Stable/Acute 2007, SVR-20, HCR-20, J-SOAP 2, ERASOR, and Limestone plethysmograph.
Since 2003 Dr. Simpson has provided over 300 trainings in all 50 states for professionals on assessing/treating sexual and Internet compulsions.
Author of Second Thoughts, a book that was instrumental in helping expose the false claims and dangers of ‘recovered memory therapy.’ Throughout the 1990’s Dr. Simpson was a leading national educator on False Memory Syndrome and trained thousands of counseling professionals on standards of practice. He also served as an expert consultant to the Arizona Board of Psychologist Examiners.
Dr. Simpson has been a guest on The Joan Rivers Show, the Leeza Gibbons Show, Parent Talk Radio, Focus on the Family, Frontline, and Fox News. He has been a professional consultant to a number of national media, including 20/20, 60 minutes, NBC News, Nightline, The Oprah Winfrey Show, the Chicago Tribune, Dateline, The Today Show, Focus on the Family, and Vanity Fair magazine.